Monday, July 2, 2012

The Rocking Horse

My niece had a baby.  Adorable little boy.  I built this for his first birthday.  


The idea came from The Wood Whisperer, aka Mark Spagnulo.  He's a woodworker in Arizona, and his site is a treasure trove of instructional videos.  He ran a little charitable program in which folks built this rocking chair and sent in pics.  Mark and other sponsors donated money to a children's charity.


The plans were downloaded off The Wood Whisperer website.  I bought a panel of laminated pine from Lowes.  (FYI -- I much prefer Lowes to Home Depot, but, unfortunately, Lowes is about 15 minutes further away.) I cut out the patterns for the pieces and transferred them to the panel.  The pattern for the body was glued on with spray adhesive.



The parts were cut out with a jig saw. I have a Bosch.


Gellstain and sprayed with some Zinser amber shellac.





I had a devil of a time finding the googly eyes.  I ended up going to Michaels, the massive craft store.  Happy place.


No comments :

Post a Comment