Monday, December 29, 2014

The Deer Project - The Dinner (Part 3)

(From December 2012.)

The best part about the hunting is the eating.  I invited a bunch of people up for a little feast in December.  This was pre-blog, so I don't have good photos.

The two main dishes were venison bourguignon and backstrap filets in a pepper sauce.

But first, slices of the heart and tenderloins, quick sautéed in a cast iron pan.




I don't think I've ever eaten heart before.  It was surprisingly good.  I expected it to be tough and gristly, but it was pretty tender.  Strongly flavored, like an aged rib-eye.  I had no idea how to cook it.  I sliced thin the "meaty" parts of the muscle, avoiding the ligaments and valves.  Then tossed it in the hot skillet.  The tenderloins were also seared quickly and sliced.  

For the bourguignon, I used Julia Child's beef bourguignon recipe.  First I took a top round (I think it was a top round) and some random chunks and browned them in the Le Crueset.





I added the onions and carrots, wine and stock, and let it simmer.  Separately, I cooked the mushrooms and then the pearl onions. Added it all together at the end and .....

Sorry, I didn't get a picture!

The backstraps are the equivalent to the New York strip on a cow -- much smaller.  These were sliced into 1" thick steaks and seared in the cast iron skillet.  Some wine to deglaze the pan, lots of pepper, some butter and cream.





The venison was tender enough to cut with a fork.  It has a distinct flavor, but not as strong as a good lamb.

No comments :

Post a Comment